Field Collaborative Lab 4 – Panoramic Pinhole

For the fourth and final week of our collaborative field Projects with the Ceramic and Maker students, I took part in a pinhole camera project. During this project we were split into groups of three and had the task of creating our very own pinhole cameras. In my group we created three different cameras. One was made of a large Celebrations of which we used black paint to black out the inside so that no light was able to leak through and spoil the photo paper.  The second camera we made was a tin can pinhole camera which also needed black paint so that when used to expose light to photo paper, the light would not bounce of the metallic insides of the can. The last camera we made was out of a small film roll casing which did not need to be blacked out as the little capsule itself is already made to be black out.

The camera I found worked the best was the third camera which was the small film roll capsule. I think this went well as the capsule was already blacked out and had nonlight leaking through where as the others had to black out ourselves and the paint we used did not black out the can or sweet tub properly.

Above out the outcomes we got using all of the cameras that we made. As you are unable to see subject in these I think they make quite interesting abstract pieces as the shapes and different shades of black and grey leave a very interesting effect.

Also with these photos we edited them with a photo editing platform called Aurasma which I found quite hard to use. With this app (which you are able to download from the App Store onto your phone) you take a photo of the pinhole exposes after they had been developed and you are able to use a range of filters to change the intensity of the colours from the original pinhole photographto help make it easier to see what is in the photos. You are also able to create a link to an object or drawing using the camera which will automatically load up one of the pinhole photos when shown on your phone screen which I found to be very confusing.

These images above are photos of the edited pinhole photographs. I think that using this app has really helped to show what we were capturing with our handmade cameras. The top three photos were exposures of the sky and I think that this has picked up quite well after using the editing app as you can see the shapes of the clouds. The first photo on the bottom row is an exposure of a lamp post outside of uni with the sky in the background and the art building framing the bottom. I really like this photo as you are able to see the sun shining through just behind the lamp post and I think this leaves quite an interesting effect. The last two photographs on the bottom row are of the grass behind the school of art where we placed our camera on the floor in the grass a took an expose from a lower angle. After being edited you can see the different shapes the grass creates and I think this leaves a very interesting effect.

Overall I have really enjoyed this project. I was able to use the knowledge that I learnt from A-Level and Foundation when using Analog photography and also learn from the mistakes we made whilst making our own cameras and now have a better understanding of which materials work better and what I can do next time to make them better.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Field Collaborative Lab 4 – Panoramic Pinhole”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s